Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Brazilian Portuguese Verbs

Portuguese verbs can be divided into regular and irregular verbs.
Regular verbs can be divided into 3 groups depeding on their endings: AR, ER and IR.
Exemples of regular AR verbs: amar, cantar, continuar, falar, tentar, usar.
Examples of regular ER verbs: bater, correr, concorrer, percorrer.
Examples of regular IR verbs: existir, partir, possuir, desistir.
Examples of irregular verbs: ser, estar, ir, ter.
---------
Eu. I.
Você. You. (singular)
Ele. He.
Ela. She.
A gente. We. (informal)
Nós. We.
Vocês. You. (plural)
Eles. They.
Elas. They. (they are women)
------
Eu ando. I walk.
Você anda. You walk.
Ele anda. He walks.
Nós andamos. We walk.
Vocês andam. You walk.
Eles andam. They walk.

Eu andei. I walked.
Você andou. You walked.
Ele andou. He walked.
Nós andamos. We walked.
Vocês andaram. You walked.
Eles andaram. They walked.

Eu andava. I used to walk.
Você andava. You used to walk.
Ele andava. He used to walk.
Nós andávamos. We used to walk.
Vocês andavam. You used to walk.
Eles andavam. They used to walk.

Eu andara. I had walked.
Você andara. You had walked.
Ele andara. He had walked.
Nós andáramos. We had walked.
Vocês andaram. You had walked.
Eles andaram. They had walked.

Eu andarei. I will walk.
Você andará. You will walk.
Ele andará. He will walk.
Nós andaremos. We will walk.
Vocês andarão. You will walk.
Eles andarão. They will walk.

Eu andaria. I would walk.
Você andaria. You would walk.
Ele andaria. He would walk.
Nós andaríamos. We would walk.
Vocês andariam.  You would walk.
Eles andariam. They would walk.

IMPERATIVE
Tu anda.
Você ande.
Nós andemos.
Vós andais.
Vocês andem.

Andando. Walking. (present participle)
Andado. Walked. (past participle)
--------
Eu como. I eat.
Você come. You eat.
Ele come. He eats.
Nós comemos. We eat.
Vocês comem. You eat.
Eles comem. They eat.

Eu comi. I ate.
Você comeu. You ate.
Ele comeu. He ate.
Nós comemos. We ate.
Vocês comeram. You ate.
Eles comeram. They ate.

Eu comia. I used to eat.
Você comia. You used to eat.
Ele comia. He used to eat.
Nós comíamos. We used to eat.
Vocês comiam. You used to eat.
Eles comiam. They used to eat.

Eu comera. I had eaten.
Você comera. You had eaten.
Ele comera. He had eaten.
Nós comêramos. We had eaten.
Vocês comeram. You had eaten.
Eles comeram. They had eaten.

Eu comerei. I will eat.
Você comerá. You will eat.
Ele comerá. He will eat.
Nós comeremos. We will eat.
Vocês comerão. You will eat.
Eles comerão. They will eat.

Eu comeria. I would eat.
Você comeria. You would eat.
Ele comeria. He would eat.
Nós comeríamos. We would eat.
Vocês comeriam.  You would eat.
Eles comeriam. They would eat.

IMPERATIVE
Tu come.
Você coma.
Nós comamos.
Vós comei.
Você comam.

Comendo. Eating. (present participle)
Comido. Eaten. (past participle)
--------
Eu parto. I leave.
Você parte. You leave.
Ele parte. He leaves.
Nós partimos. We leave.
Vocês partem. You leave.
Eles partem. They leave.

Eu parti. I left.
Você partiu. You left.
Ele partiu. He left.
Nós partimos. We left.
Vocês partiram. You left.
Eles partiram. They left.

Eu partia. I used to leave.
Você partia. You used to leave.
Ele partia. He used to leave.
Nós partíamos. We used to leave.
Vocês partiam. You used to leave.
Eles partiam. They used to leave.

Eu partira. I had left.
Você partira. You had left.
Ele partira. He had left.
Nós partíramos. We had left.
Vocês partiram. You had left.
Eles partiram. They had left.

Eu partirei. I will leave.
Você partirá. You will leave.
Ele partirá. He will leave.
Nós partiremos. We will leave.
Vocês partirão. You will leave.
Eles partirão. They will leave.

Eu partiria. I would leave.
Você partiria. You would leave.
Ele partiria. He would leave.
Nós partiríamos. We would leave.
Vocês partiriam.  You would leave.
Eles partiriam. They would leave.

IMPERATIVE
Tu parte.
Você parta.
Nós partamos.
Vós parti.
Vocês partam.

Partindo. Leaving. (present participle)
Partido. Left. (past participle)
----------
IMPERATIVE.
To say orders, you have to conjugate the verb to the imperative form.
It has a different form for each grammatical person.

For example the imperative for the verb ANDAR (to walk) is:
Tu anda.
Você ande.
Nós andemos.
Vós andais.
Vocês andem.

"Tu" (singular you) and "vós" (plural you) are considered archaic and not used anymore in written Brazilian Portuguese. But "tu" is still used in informal spoken language.

Anda. Walk. (informal singular imperative )
Ande. Walk. (formal singular imperative )
Andem. Walk. (plural imperative)

Come. Eat. (informal singular imperative)
Coma. Eat (formal singular imperative)
Comam. Eat. (plural imperative)

Sai. Go out. (informal singular imperative)
Saia. Go out. (formal singular imperative)
Saiam. Go out. (plural imperative)
---------
SER. TO BE.

Eu sou. I am.
Você é. You are.
Ele é. He is.
Ela é. She is.
A gente é.  We are.
Nós somos. We are.
Vocês são. You are.
Eles são. They are.
Elas são. They are.
---------
Eu sou estudante. I am a student.
Eu sou professor. I am a teacher.
Eu sou advogado. I am a lawyer.
Eu sou engenheiro. I am an engineer.
-----------
Você é bonito. You are beautiful.
Ele é feio. He is ugly.
Ela é inteligente. She is intelligent.
A gente é pobre. We are poor.
Nós somos ricos. We are rich.
Vocês são gentis. You are kind.
Eles são atores. They are actors.
Elas são policiais. They are policewomen.
---------
Eu fui.  I was.
Você foi. You were.
Ele foi. He was.
Nós fomos. We were.
Você foram. You were.
Eles foram. They were.

Eu era.  I used to be.
Você era. You used to be.
Ele era. He used to be.
Nós erámos. We used to be.
Vocês eram. You used to be.
Eles eram. They used to be.

Eu fora. I had been.
Você fora. You had been.
Ele fora. He had been.
Nós fôramos. We had been.
Vocês foram. You had been.
Eles foram. They had been.

Eu serei. I will be.
Você será. You will be.
Ele será. He will be.
Nós seremos. We will be.
Vocês serão. You will be.
Eles serão. They will be.

Eu seria. I would be.
Você seria. You would be.
Ele seria. He would be.
Nós seríamos. We would be.
Você seriam.  You would be.
Eles seriam. They would be.
-------
PASSIVE VOICE: verb SER + past participle

O carro é lavado. The car is washed.
O carro foi vendido. The car was sold.
O carro será comprado. The car will be bought.
------
ESTAR. TO BE.

The verb ESTAR refers to a temporary state.
The verb SER refers to an inherent or permanent state.
Eu estou doente. I am (temporarily) sick.
Eu sou médico. I am (permanently) a doctor.

Eu estou cansado. I am tired.
Eu estou com sono. I am sleepy.
Eu estou com fome.  I am hungry.
Eu estou com sede. I am thirsty.

Eu estou. I am.
Você está. You are.
Ele está. He is.
Nós estamos. We are.
Vocês estão. You are.
Eles estão. They are.

Eu estive. I was.
Você esteve. You were.
Ele esteve. He was.
Nós estivemos. We were.
Vocês estiveram. You were.
Eles estiveram. They were.

Eu estivera. I had been.
Você estivera. You had been.
Ele estivera. He had been.
Nós estivéramos. We had been.
Vocês estiveram. You had been.
Eles estiveram. They had been.
-----------
CONTINUOUS: verb ESTAR + present participle

Correr. Run.
Correndo. Running.
Eu estou correndo. I am running.
Eu estou comendo. I am eating.
Eu estou escrevendo. I am writing.
Ela estava lendo. She was reading.
Ela estava dormindo. She was sleeping.
Ela estava sorrindo. She was smiling.
Vocês estarão trabalhando. You will be working.
Vocês estarão descansando. You will be resting.
--------
IR. TO GO.

Eu vou.  I go.
Você vai. You go.
Ele vai. He goes.
Nós vamos. We go.
Vocês vão. You go.
Eles vão. They go.

Eu fui.  I went.
Você foi. You went.
Ele foi. He went.
Nós fomos. We went.
Vocês foram. You went.
Eles foram. They went.

Eu ia.  I used to go.
Você ia. You used to go.
Ele ia. He used to go.
Nós íamos. We used to go.
Vocês iam. You used to go.
Eles iam. They used to go.

Eu fora.  I had gone.
Você fora. You had gone.
Ele fora. He had gone.
Nós fôramos. We had gone.
Vocês foram. You had gone.
Eles foram. They had gone.
---------
Eu vou à escola. I go to the school.
Eu vou ao escritório. I go to the office.
Eu fui ao cinema. I went to the movies.
Eu fui à praia. I went to the beach.
-------
The present tense of the verb IR can be used to express the  future.

Eu trabalharei. I will work.
Eu vou trabalhar. I will work.

Eu descansarei. I will rest.
Eu vou descansar. I will rest.

Eu escreverei. I will write.
Eu vou escrever. I will write.
-----
TER. TO HAVE

Eu tenho. I have.
Você tem. You have.
Ele tem. He has.
Nós temos. We have.
Você têm. You have.
Eles têm. They have.

Eu tive. I had.
Você teve. You had.
Ele teve. He had.
Nós tivemos. We had.
Você tiveram. You had.
Eles tiveram. They had.

Eu tinha. I used to have.
Você tinha. You used to have.
Ele tinha. He used to have.
Nós tínhamos. We used to have.
Você tinham. You used to have.
Eles tinham. They used to have.

Eu tivera. I had had.
Você tivera. You had had.
Ele tivera. He had had.
Nós tivéramos. We had had.
Você tiveram. You had had.
Eles tiveram. They had had.

IMPERATIVE
Tu tem.
Você tenha.
Nós tenhamos.
Vós tende.
Vocês tenham.

Tendo. Having. (present participle)
Tido. Had. (past participle)
--------
The past perfect  can be written in 2 ways:

Eu escrevera. I had written. (written language)
Eu tinha escrito.  I had written. (spoken language)

Eu vira. I had seen. (written language)
Eu tinha visto. I had seen. (spoken language)

Eu tivera. I had had.
Eu tinha tido. I had had.

Eu andara.  I had walked.
Eu tinha andado. I had walked.

No comments:

Post a Comment