Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Let's talk about Cowboys and Aliens.

Let's talk about Cowboys and Aliens.
Usually I don't write reviews, but this time I was thinking of writing a review with suggestions on how to improve the movie... Unfortunately for this movie I couldn't think of many ideas..

I didn't know what to expect about this movie, hadn't read any reviews about it, so I went to see it quite "fresh", I think.

The  film is good, but I didn't like it. As is the case in most films these days, I think the weakest part was the script. It is a story of a group of cowboys against.... aliens.  And that is pretty much it. There is not much to say about the script. That is at least the main plot. There is a lot of subplots but I couldn't care less.

The film starts with Daniel Craig in the middle of the desert, wounded, no horse, alone, no memories and with an alien-looking bracelet.
And that is obviously the first and also the only mystery in the film. Who is Daniel Craig, what is that bracelet, what happened to him to be in the desert? As the film proceeds I was waiting for the moment it would turn to science fiction, with cool spaceships, aliens and special effects. But that moment never comes. The entire movie is basically a typical cliched western. I have nothing against westerns but I am not a fan of them either. I enjoyed Sergio Leone's "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and "Once upon a time in the west", but in general I don't watch westerns.
So this film has a problem for me, since I am not a fan of the entire genre, and this film is 99% western, with a very few scenes of the aliens, which are basically your run-of-the-mill monsters of the week.

There are no explanations about the aliens, who they are, what they want (oh ok, they want gold... but why do they want gold?). The aliens are just monsters, the bad guys, the ones that need to be destroyed, and that is all you need to know.
There is no humor, no suspense, no romance, no mystery. The special effects are few and not impressive.

There is no reason for the bad guys to be aliens. They could just be normal human beings and the film would still be completely the same.
If I were a film director and had received the script, I would have refused it. Unhappily there is nothing interesting in the script.

But even when the script is bad, you can still make a good movie if you have good ideas and be able to shoot the scenes in a interesting way. But you don't have that here.
The whole point of the movie is to show a group of people on a mission to rescue their families and friends kidnapped by the bad guys. Does the plot sound familiar? I think I have already seen this kind of movie before.

A much more interesting approach would be to make Daniel Craig a real alien, a extraterrestrial spy on Earth on a mission to fight another group of aliens who are disguising as earthlings. And on his quest the hero would have to recruit the help of humans. Well, at least that was what I was expecting when I first heard of this movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment